Monday 28 April 2014

Fish Chowder

 
Do you ever get down to random items in your kitchen before shopping day and wonder how you can make supper with them? I had a day like that last week. I had two packages of fish fillets that didn't match each other. And two is just not enough for our family of ten. It was a chilly damp day so maybe that inspired my next thought - fish chowder.
 
I didn't feel like endlessly scrolling through recipes to find one I liked. I've done enough cooking that I thought I could pull this off on my own. It worked and I am so excited. I don't often step out on my own to create something. I tweak recipes A LOT, but doing my own is a fairly new experience. My family loved it so I know I'll be doing it again. Not only that I loved it, and generally speaking I don't like fish (unless it's deep fried in a thick batter ☺).
 
This recipe is easy and fast and can easily be adjusted according to your family's likes or what you have in the pantry. I added some bread I had made that day, and we had a filling and comforting meal.
 
Fish Chowder
 
fish fillets - whatever amount works for your family
oil for frying
1/2 cup butter
2 medium onions chopped
1 can mushrooms (284ml/10 oz)
1/2 cup flour
4 cups cream (or milk, but cream makes is tastier)
2 cans corn (341 ml/12 oz)
1 tsp salt
 
Cut the fish into bite size pieces and place in a pan with oil. As they cook add pepper to taste.
 
In a pot melt the butter. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the flour to form a paste.
 
Whisk in the four cups of cream and stir until thickened. Add the cooked fish, corn and salt. Stir frequently and serve when hot.
 
cooking the fish with pepper
 
onions and mushrooms
 
with the flour forming a paste

ready to eat

 
What is your favourite way to eat fish?

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipe. It looks so good, my mouth is watering right now 😋. I will definitely try this. Love the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie Geoffrion5 May 2014 at 13:36

    I'm printing this one up! :) Can you qualify it as a THM meal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would need to switch almond flour for the wheat flour and leave the corn out. Then it would be an "S" meal. :)

      Delete
  3. The pictures look very interesting. I love grilled fish and I never have any chowder. I just can imagine how it tastes just by looking at the pictures. Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. It really does taste wonderful.

      Delete