Wednesday 16 April 2014

Breakfast Time - Coffee Cake

I think Coffee Cake was one of the first things I learned to bake. It is so easy. Three of my children can make it and do so on a regular basis. There are many, many variations but we generally just stay with our original recipe. We enjoy it that much. Sometimes one of the children will make it the night before. In the morning we can just pop it in the oven and have a fresh baked goodie and no mess for breakfast. Add some scrambled eggs and a nice cup of tea, and you have a nearly perfect breakfast.
 
Our recipe comes from Betty Crocker's New Picture Cook Book. This book came out in the '60's, I think. It was the cookbook my mom used when I was growing up. Shortly after I married my husband found a copy for me on eBay for $40. It looked like new. Let's just say it's seen a lot of use since then. ☺  So here's the recipe we use... 
 
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soft butter
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Grease a square pan. Mix sugar, butter and egg thoroughly. Stir in milk. Mix dry ingredients; stir in. Spread batter in pan. Sprinkle with desired topping. Bake at 375ยบ for 25 to 35 minutes (check with a toothpick). Serve warm. Makes 9 3" squares.

For a topping we scatter cut pieces of butter over the coffee cake and then sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top of that. As the butter melts during baking it pulls the sugar and cinnamon down through the coffee cake, and you have these wonderful pockets of sugary, buttery, cinnamony goodness.


Ready to eat. Tea in my favourite mug. Cake warm out of the oven. Now if only the children wouldn't be silly while we eat so I can savor every bite. Oh well, I'm sure I will miss all the silliness and noise someday.


Here are some coffee cake variations I found while surfing the net.

Rhu-Berry Crumb Coffee Cake
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Peach Cobbler Coffee Cake
Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Lemon Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake in a Mug
Blueberry Coffee Cake
Apple Coffee Cake
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Strawberry Coffee Cake
 

Do you have a favourite coffee cake recipe?

Have you entered the giveaway?

To see all the posts in this series go here.


Pin It
+

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY!!! I'm so excited to have this recipe, but just last night Edward decided he really wants to dedicate himself to his diet! lol

    ReplyDelete