Wednesday 18 December 2013

From Sweater to Leg Warmers

Today I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something new. I went out on my own to remake a sweater into something I would use. I had a sweater I'd been given several years ago that I never liked. It was/is just too bulky and awkward feeling. A few weeks ago I decided that since I hadn't used it in years I should use it for something. I took the collar apart for a small project that ultimately failed. I was discouraged and felt like throwing the whole thing away, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I love the cable stitch and the pattern on this sweater is so pretty. As well, it just seemed wrong to throw all of this away. 

So I thought I would cut off the arms to make some leg warmers for my baby. We like to hike - even in the winter - but I worry about the baby being warm enough since he's not exercising on my back. Snowsuits are a bit too bulky, but the idea of some leg warmers has been perking in my brain. It felt almost wrong to cut sweater up, but then I wasn't using it anyway so out came the scissors.





I cut the arms off.



Then I serged the cut edge to keep it from unravelling.
I turned the sleeve inside out and folded the edge down. Then I sewed a casing for some elastic and threaded my elastic through...




 and voila! A leg warmer.
They're a bit long, but he'll have some growing room.












10 comments:

  1. ahhh cute - great idea and what a good way to repurpose something that would otherwise stay unused :)
    I have a couple of sweaters that I cut for projects that didn't work - I bet I could do the same for Stef :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Jonah. Nice leg warmer, love the color, love the baby wearing it. It's a bit long on him now but we know how fast Jonah grow :) I was given a bag of sweaters which unfortunately doesn't fit, now I know what to do with them. Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a fun post to put together. Of course, I did have a bit of trouble with my model being still long enough for me to photograph him. :)

      Delete
  3. Very nice - he looks a happy chappy! Might try some for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. He is happy - I think my happiest baby.

      Delete
  4. Ha! So clever & what a little cutie!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I've seen where girls/women do the same with old sweaters and use them as 'boot socks'. Great way to re-purpose...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete