Tuesday 1 October 2013

The Least of These

It is no secret to those who know me that my favourite kind of books to read are memoirs and biographies. I love to see how people rise to meet the challenges of life. I am challenged to stop complaining at my own seeming problems in the light of other people's difficulties.
 
Recently I read two books about the Sudan. One was called Passport Through Darkness about a Christian American woman, Kimberly Smith, and her family who started an orphanage for children in the Sudan. The other, Tears of the Desert, is about a woman whose family and village had been ripped apart by the war in the Sudan before she was able to escape to England. 
 
These two books left me humbled and shaken. I have absolutely nothing to complain about. My most difficult day in a rich, peaceful North American home is a luxury so many in the Sudan can only dream of. My children have such wonderful lives living in peace and security.
 
I told my husband about these books and he looked up the website in the Passport Through Darkness book. We were so pleased to discover that we could support one of the children in the orphanage on a monthly basis. God has been so good to us, and this is one way we can thank Him. Praying for Peter every day reminds me of all I have to be thankful for. It reminds my children that there are hurting people in this world that we can support with our prayers.
 
Please take some time to look at the Make Way Partners site and pray about supporting them. It takes so little effort to make a difference in the lives of precious children. Jesus says, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:40 and "Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." Luke 18:16.
 
God is good to us - share the blessing.

3 comments:

  1. This is something that we want to do as well when we have our feet under us, so to speak. :) Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, I hope you're able to do this soon. In some ways I feel like I've gained a long-distance son. I'm so glad someone is over there in the Sudan helping these orphans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check those books out. I read "Kisses From Katie" a while back and it totally changed the way I view my life and my relationship with God. I realized that I have so many wants and that my needs are really so few... And I realized that in financial wealth there is spiritual poverty, simply because we are not forced to rely on God the way the physical impoverished are. It was an eye-opening book to read.

    Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete